BioStar 2 supports two connection modes shown in the image below. Check the fundamental course contents for more information.
Add devices to the BioStar 2 server
1. Go to Device and click Search Device.
2. Select the devices you want to add to your server.
BioStar 2 has two communication modes, Device → Server and Server → Device.
There’s no functional difference between the two. However, Device → Server direction can prevent the device connection from being changed or disconnected from the designated server.
If you want to change the device IP address or their communication modes to Device → Server, click Set IP instead of Add button.
3. Set the server IP address and click Apply. Then, the device will automatically try to make a connection.
4. With the Device → Server direction, the device will be shown on the Waiting Device list. Refresh the browser to check the connection. Once you find the device, you can confirm and add it to the server by right-clicking on the device tree and clicking Add Waiting Device button.
Add slave devices connected via RS-485 interface
1. Check the physical device connection and change the device to be the master device in the device setting.
Master - Making logical decisions and controlling local zone
Slave - Become a dummy reader to send credential input to the master device
logical decisions: The master device matches user biometric information and user information received from the slave device, opens the door according to the result, and delivers the result to the slave device. It also controls the Local Zone.
2. Change the device to be Slave Mode to be searchable by the master device. Connect to the master device via RS-485 cable, and check the physical wiring connection, and go to BioStar 2 and DEVICE tap and right-click on the device tree and then click Search Slave Device.
3. Check the search result and click Add button.
Up to 31 slave devices can be connected through a daisy chain, and up to 8 fingerprint devices can be connected among the total.
But, if there's a need of making many fingerprint matching with multiple devices at the same time, it's recommended to use the limited number of slave fingerprint devices for the optimal matching performance.