If you are using BioStar version 1.52 and above, you can use the following procedure to upgrade your BioStar version and reap the benefits such as bug fixes and new features.
Refer to the attached revision notes to see what bug fixes and new features have been introduced in the newer versions.
If you have a BioStar version lower than 1.52 installed, you cannot upgrade to versions above 1.52 by simply deleting and installing the most recent BioStar unless you are upgrading to 1.93. You will have to follow the procedure shown in the How to Resolve a Database Compatibility Issue to upgrade without any issues.
** If you are upgrading to BioStar 1.93 you can follow the upgrade procedure below regardless of what current version you are on.
If you are using a software license (not a dongle) for BioStar Standard version, back up the BioStar.lic file in C:\Program Files (x86)\BioStar\server and paste it to the same location in your upgraded server.
Caution: If you're upgrading to the latest version of BioStar 1 to use 2nd generation devices, read the following article before proceeding - [BioStar 1] Limitations with 2nd Generation Devices in BioStar 1.93
Deleting BioStar will not delete your database but please back up your database so that you may revert your database if the database upgrade fails.
1.To back up your database, see How to make a backup of MSSQL database.
You can restore your database in the future through the instructions, see How to restore a database backup in MSSQL Server.
2. Uninstall BioStar from the control panel.
3. Download the most recent version of BioStar installation file: Download link.
If you are only using 1.x devices we recommend that you install BioStar 1.9.
4. Install BioStar with the setup.exe file.
5. After the installation finishes, open BioStar Server Config with administrator privileges and check that your database Server and authentication is set properly and click apply.
6. Open the BioStar server folder at C:\Program Files (x86)\BioStar\server.
7. Run DBSetup with administrator privileges.
8. Run BioStar and check that all functions operate properly.
Note Last official 2nd generation firmware tested with BioStar 1.93:
BEW2 : 1.1.5 - 20171026
BS2 : 1.5.0 - 20170927
BSA2 : 1.4.0 - 20170927
BSL2 : 1.2.4 - 20170830