BioStar 2 supports direct upgrade from the 2.5v to the latest version.
If your BioStar 2 version is 2.5v or higher, you can just download the latest version and conduct an upgrade.
However, you cannot upgrade from a very old version such as 2.0 to 2.4 in one upgrade because that process is unsupported.
Please refer to this article to upgrade sequentially.
- When you delete BioStar 2, it will delete the MariaDB database as well.
- If you're upgrading from BioStar 2.5 to BioStar 2.6, please refer to the following article to take note of the license policy changes.
BioStar 2's database has gone through a few changes since it's release.
The AC database started out with the SQLite Database and in version 2.2.1, the MariaDB T&A database was released.
Starting version 2.3, both databases became Maria DB by default (express installation). Hence the backup method has changed as well.
Refer to the image below to see the changes in the Database in BioStar 2 versions.
If you are using any DB Link program with the SQLite database in BioStar 2.2.1 or below, you will have to make changes in the software to make it compatible with Maria DB.
Refer to the [BioStar 2] BioStar 2 Database Table
Back Up the Database
Always back up your database before deleting or upgrading BioStar 2.
You can find instructions in the following link:
Maria DB: How to Back Up and Restore the Database
If you're upgrading from BioStar 2.5 to BioStar 2.6, please refer to the following article to take note of the license policy changes.
You will have to follow the upgrade path below to upgrade to the most recent version successfully.
Do not uninstall the current version and install the next version.
You can simply install the next version on top of the current version and it will migrate the database.
|Current Version||Upgrade Path|
|2||2.2.1 > 2.3 > 2.4 > 2.4.1 > 2.5.0 > 2.6.0 or 2.6.1 or 2.6.2 or 2.6.3 or 2.7.x|
|2.2||2.3 > 2.4 > 2.4.1 > 2.5.0 > 2.6.0 or 2.6.1 or 2.6.2 or 2.6.3 or 2.7.x|
|2.2.1||2.3 > 2.4 > 2.4.1 > 2.5.0 > 2.6.0 or 2.6.1 or 2.6.2 or 2.6.3 or 2.7.x|
|2.2.2||2.3 > 2.4 > 2.4.1 > 2.5.0 > 2.6.0 or 2.6.1 or 2.6.2 or 2.6.3 or 2.7.x|
|2.3||2.3 > 2.4 > 2.4.1 > 2.5.0 > 2.6.0 or 2.6.1 or 2.6.2 or 2.6.3 or 2.7.x|
|2.4||2.4.1 > 2.5.0 > 2.6.0 or 2.6.1 or 2.6.2 or 2.6.3 or 2.7.x|
|2.5||2.5.0 > 2.6.0 or 2.6.1 or 2.6.2 or 2.6.3 or 2.6.4 or 2.7.x|
|2.6||2.6.x > 2.7.0 or 2.7.1 or 2.7.2 or 2.7.3 or 2.7.4 or 2.7.x|
|2.7||2.7.0 > 2.7.1 or 2.7.2 or 2.7.3 or 2.7.4 or 2.7.x|
Current version BioStar 2.2.1 > Install 2.3 on top of 2.2.1 > Install 2.4 on top of 2.3 > Install 2.4.1 on top of 2.4
- Before BioStar 2.5 version, please do upgrade step by step. (eg, step by upgrade: 2.4(current)> 2.4.1 > 2.5.0 > 2.6.0 or above version)
- After BioStar 2.5 version, you can be able to direct upgrade to the latest version. (eg, upgrade path: 2.5.0(current) > 2.7.5 (the latest version))
- You cannot switch from a Maria DB Database to a MS SQL Database and vice versa with an upgrade. You can only upgrade MS SQL to MS SQL and Maria DB to Maria DB version of BioStar 2.
- If you used the BioStar 2 cloud feature before, you will have to turn on the feature again after the upgrade (starting in BioStar 2.4 and above).
- Make sure to back up the language properties file if you're using a custom language. It will be deleted on upgrade and will have to be pasted again.
Note: Use the temporary link if the main link fails
BioStar 2.2.1 (temporary link)
BioStar 2.3.0 (temporary link)
BioStar 2.4.0 (temporary link)
* Warning: Do not upgrade your Xpass firmware to 2.4.0 (2.4.1 and above are fine). Your device will malfunction. Refer to the following announcement.
BioStar 2.4.1 (temporary link)
You can always find the most recent version of BioStar 2 in the following link: BioStar 2 Download Page
32 bit to 64 bit upgrade
If you're attempting to upgrade from a 32 bit BioStar 2 to 64 bit BioStar 2, you will see the error below:
[popup in BioStar 2.4]
[popup in BioStar 2.4.1]
Do not uninstall BioStar 2 before backing up BioStar 2's database. If you did the express install previously, deleting BioStar 2 will also delete the database.
Hence follow the process below:
For instance for BioStar 2.3 (32bit) > BioStar 2.4 (64bit)
1. Back up BioStar 2 database.
2. Delete BioStar 2.3 (32bit).
3. Install BioStar 2.3 (64bit).
4. Restore the BioStar 2 database.
5. Install BioStar 2.4 (64bit).
Resolving UI Issue After Upgrade
Your chrome browser may keep the cache of your old version of BioStar.
In such cases you will see many menus that are missing or some menus that appear to have special symbols that are out of place.
In such cases, follow the method below to clean Chrome browser’s cache.
1. Open your chrome browser.
2. Press F12.
3. Right click on the circling arrow.
4. Click Empty Cache and Hard Reload.